Psychiatric services for children, adolescents and adults experiencing emotional and/or behavioral problems typically begin with a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation. The evaluation is performed in the office by the psychiatrist or nurse practitioner and depending on the complexity of the presenting problems, may require more than one office visit.
Our experienced clinicians offer compassionate care built around the unique needs of every child, adolescent and adult. We offer expertise in a broad range of emotional, behavioral and mental health issues. Contact us today to get started on the right path.
The comprehensive psychiatric evaluation typically includes:
- Thorough description of the presenting problems and symptoms
- Information about current and previous health issues and treatment
- Medication history
- Psychiatric history including patient and family history
- Developmental history
- Information about work, school, social functioning
- Family relationships
- Collateral information from other significant sources such as school, family physician, other treating professionals
- Interview of patient
- Interview of parents/guardians, spouse or other family members with patient consent
- In certain cases, laboratory studies such as blood tests
Using the information gathered during the evaluation process, the psychiatrist or nurse practitioner will offer recommendations and begin to develop a treatment plan to address the presenting emotional or behavioral problems. The psychiatrist or nurse practitioner formulates treatment recommendations by combining the biological, psychological and social parts of the problem with the developmental needs, history and strengths of the patient.
Children, adolescents or adults facing issues that are impacting interpersonal, social, emotional, academic, and/or occupational functioning can benefit from a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation.
Our psychiatrist and nurse practitioners have advanced training and experience in conducting comprehensive psychiatric evaluations. This translates into effective diagnosis and treatment to improve the daily functioning and quality of life for you or someone you love.